Essential Elements of the PYP Program

We’ve had two great sessions led by Mrs. Jolley to start reflecting on and consolidating our understanding of the PYP programme. We reviewed the 6 Transdisciplinary Themes and their descriptions and looked at our current grade 6 central ideas and the concepts related to each. Please write a short paragraph (6-10 sentences) reflecting on your new understanding of how the essential elements (Skills, Knowledge, Attitudes, Concepts and Action) are connected and the purpose they serve. (Remember to read over your paragraph and edit for spelling and grammar before posting it.)

55 thoughts on “Essential Elements of the PYP Program

1. Skills, knowledge, concepts, attitudes and action all make you more internationally minded. If you want to be internationally minded you have to have all of the above. The essential elements are connected because you have to put them all together. They are also connected because they are all just stuff unless you put them together. For example the knowledge you know is useless unless you combine it with the skills you have. Skills are useless unless you have something to use them for like knowledge.

2. The attributes are connected to the purpose because of their use. Usually in all of the central idea’s it usually has at least one attribute in them. The purpose they serve is to make everybody a good student. To make everybody a good student they have to look over those attributes on a daily basis. To do that you have to use your time wisely. You have to be responsible to do that. Overall I am exited to do exhibition.

3. After the discussions with Mrs.Jolley I know how their is five essential elements to be a great IB learner. Skills is like a person who makes keys. The attitudes helps the key maker to create the key. The knowledge unlocks the door and the concepts help the knowledge to guide through the lock. The action is inside because you get to chose act reflect on what you have done and what you will accomplish.

4. With our discussions with Mrs. Jolley,I have reflected and consolidated my understanding of the PYP. From my new understanding of the essential elements, you start off with the skills(thinking, self-management, communication, research, etc.) which make it possible to apply and gain knowledge. With the knowledge you have obtained, you have the attitude(respect, creativity, appreciation, so on) to help you understand your knowledge with the concepts(form, function, etc.). With your understanding with the concepts, you can then finally take action(the most important part). That is how they are connected. The essential elements serve a purpose because they make us learn more effectively, become internationally minded and in the end, makes the world a better place.

5. Exhibition

This unit we have been learning about the PYP learner profile and i will be talking about them. I Will be using my Skills when we have an assignment. I will need my knowledge when I have to find the information I need. My Attitude will be important so that I don’t get in to trouble and so I can finish my work. I must know all of the Concepts so I know what to do, if I don’t know all of the concepts I won’t know what to do. I will take Action when I know something needs to be done. This is what we have been learning about and by the time this unit is over I will know more about the PYP profiles

6. To be a good global citizen I have to start by being a good student. I need to know how to think critically and creatively. I could use my skills as an athlete, a technician and a learner to help others. My knowledge of math, other languages and different subjects could be used in daily life. I need to know how to socialize with and understand other people. I could help my neighbors by helping them clean their houses. I could help the homeless by providing food, clothing or books. My attitude to others will be kind and caring. I also will accept differences between others. I will try to make the world a better place every day.

7. We have to learn all these essential elements to put into action.
    For PYP skills you have to learn thinking skills, social skills, communication skills, self-management skills and research skills.
    Attitudes, you have to learn appretiation, commintment, confidence, co-operation, creativity, curiosity, empathy, enthusiasm, independence integrity, respect and tolerance.
    Concepts: Form; what is it like?, Function; how does it work?, Causation; what is it like, Change; how is it changing, Connection; How is it connected to other things?, Perspective; What are the points of veiw, Responsibility; What is our responsibility, Reflection; How do we know?.
    THe transdisciplinary themes are:
    •who we are
    •where we are in place and time
    •how we express ourselves
    •how the world works
    •how we organize ourselves
    •sharing the planet.
    When you know all these attributes you can put into action.
    PYP stands for Primary Year programme.

8. The PYP(primary years program) is the current program we use in the junior school. Next year when we grade sixes go into grade seven and middle school we will use the MYP(middle years program). There are five essential elements in PYP they are skills,knowledge,attitudes,concepts and action. Once you have done all these things you can be International Minded. First, you need skills like the transdisciplinary skills which are skills like thinking skills and self-management skills. Second, you need knowledge and to get the knowledge you need, you use skills and the skills to use are the transdisciplinary skills. You also need to know the concepts and themes. Our current theme in grade six is How the world works. Microspopic organisms have an impact on living things is the central idea. You need to have good attitudes which include things like being empathathetic,caring, principled and responsible once you have done these things you put them into action to be internationaly minded and good citizen to our world.

9. Today, for the second time, Mrs. Jolley came in to talk about the essential elements and talk about Exhibition. To show us this, she showed us a power point made by students in an IB school somewhere in the USA. The essential elements are: Skills, knowledge, attributes, concepts and action. We learned that all of the essential elements are connected and they all are required to be internationally minded. All of the essential elements are connected because you need to have the right knowledge, have the right skills, have the right attitude and have the right concept before they can take action. The essential elements are very important because the students learning this in PYP schools now are the generations of the future. If everyone is educated on the essential elements it will make the world a better place.

10. Skills, knowledge, attitudes, concepts and action all of these things have to do with exhibition and the PYP. First there’s skills, we need skills in every day life. For example, if we didn’t have communtcation skills we wouldn’t be able to talk or even listen! Then there’s knowledge, if we didn’t have knowedge there would be no doctors or other important people because we couldn’t make a knowledgeable decision. Attitudes, we use attitudes in our everyday life from being curious to being empathetic. Helpful concepts, there are quite a few concepts we use to help us understand things like, What is it like? How does it work? etc. Finally action, we need all of these things to take something into action! These are the things we need to make action.

11. After Ms. Jolly’s interesting presentation I have a brand new understanding of how the pyp and ib learner profile works. Firstly we learned that all the transdisciplinary themes link to the key concepts. We also learned a lot about the essential elements. The elements are needed if you want to internationally mined, the elements are skills, knowledge, attitudes, concepts and action. Action is last because you first have to have the skills, knowledge, attitudes and concepts before you can take action. After Ms. Jolly’s interesting presentation I learned a lot about the ib and the primary year’s program (pyp).

12. Exhibition gives us a chance to apply our knowledge about the PYP. Ms. Jolly came in and had us reflect on our understanding of the PYP. All of the traits I am about to tell you about, connect to the PYP; every area is being broken down more and more and we get more specific every time. The essential elements are skills, knowledge, attitudes, concepts and action. The skills are broken down into social, research, self-management, thinking and communication. The attitudes are also broken down, into appreciation, commitment, confidence, cooperation, creativity, curiosity, empathy, enthusiasm, independence, integrity, respect and tolerance. Also, the learner profile which is the most specific, is being inquires, thinkers, communicators, risk-takers, knowledgeable, principled, caring, open-minded, balanced and reflective. The purpose of these traits is to explain what IB students should strive to be. I am looking forward to starting and experiencing exhibition.

13. Recently, Mrs. .Jolley went to all the grade 6 classes and spoke to us about what we have been learning with the PYP program on our journey from kindergarten to grade 6, now. She was talking to us about the trans-disciplinary themes and skills, the key concepts, and the essential elements (Skills, Knowledge, Concepts, Attitude and Action). Understanding these concepts is easier now that I know what they are used for and how WE can use them. All of the essential elements help with school problems and life problems too! We need to use our skills to make the problem easier, use our knowledge to help answer and solve the problem, use the concepts to enhance our learning and questions, have a positive and open-minded attitude throughout the process, and take action around us! These are my overall thoughts on the PYP elements.

14. I think that all of the essential elements go together to add to the IB system and guide people to being an internationally minded student. I think, that you need the proper Attitude to go and learn productively and gain knowledge. After that,you create concepts from your knowledge. From your concepts you learn new skills that could be applied to different situations. After you have done that (sometimes in a different order) you gain the ability to take action on all your knowledge, concepts and probably most importantly, your skills. I think that the essential elements are definitely important to the IB system because they teach you how to be internationally minded.

15. As Ms. Jolley told us about The 6 Transdisciplinary Themes, I came to learn how all the essential elements are connected to one another. The Skills, Knowledge, Attitudes, and Concepts are all needed to let you be able to take the right course of action. For example, you need to understand the skills it takes to find facts about different diseases, to be able to gain knowledge from them. Then you need to be able to have the knowledge to understand the different concepts. Then with that, you need to be able to show the right attitudes towards the concepts. And finally, you need all that to be able to take the right course of action to prevent the disease from spreading to you. They can also help in future jobs. For example, as a lawyer, you need all these to be able to find evidence to place somebody behind bars. I think the skills Ms. Jolley taught us will be very valuable for us in the coming future.

16. With Mrs. Jolley we gained some new info about the PYP program. In the classes she First talked about how the program is Internationally recognized by schools;it is recognized for allowing students to travel internationally and have the same system and expectations.It is also recognized by Universities easily.
    This is how it works: the key concepts are : Function,form, causation,change, connections, perspective and responsibility.
    You must use the skills from five areas: social, research,
    self-management, thinking and communication. You must have this… the importunity to engage in action. This the info we learned about the I.B. program.
    in action.

17. The essential elements are completely all the same. Only why? Why because they all work together to get action happen and I can’t say it myself better than Torean. Knowledge is the key smith. Skill is the key. Concept is the lock. Attitude is the grease for the hinges. Action is opening the door. And that opens the door to my mind!

18. Exhibition (Mrs. Jolley)
    Today, and a few days ago we had Mrs. Jolley to talk about our exhibition and essential themes. I learned that all of the essential themes are connected because they are all keys for you to be a success full human in the present and future. Although some are hard to achieve, all people that are successful have included these essential themes in their lives. I think the purpose that they serve is to give people simple and achievable and very useful advice. Also you must perform the essential themes in order or else it won’t work. Attitude should be first and action should be last the rest (Skills, Knowledge and concepts) can be in the middle. Without a doubt I think we should include the essential themes for our exhibition project and for other project.

19. This morning Mrs. Jolley came to talk to us about the PYP Program. She talked about the 6 Transdisciplinary Themes and their descriptions. Last week we also looked on the current grade 6 central ideas and the concepts related to each other. We learned about skills, knowledgeable, attitudes, concepts and action and what they all mean to the school. We discussed all about what it takes to live up to the IB program. I learned new vocabulary watching the power point and new ways to say words that I already new but more complicated. I learned that the key concepts are like an key opening the door than when you open it everything is they’re such as the skills, knowledgeable, attitudes, concepts and action. That is some of the ideas that i have learned so far from Mrs. Jolley.

20. Having Mrs. Jolley teach us, about the essential elements, made me learn a lot. During that period we talked about the connections between the essential elements, Skills, Knowledge, Attitudes, Concepts and Action, and what purpose they have. First, we use the different Skills, Thinking, Communication, Social, Research and Self-management Skills. Secondly we use the Knowledge we know from the transdisciplinary themes, Who we are, Where we are in place and time, How we express ourselves, How the world works, How we organise ourselves and Sharing the planet. Thirdly with different kinds of good attitudes, Appreciation, Commitment, Confidence, Cooperation, Creativity, Curiosity, Empathy, Enthusiasm, Independence, Integrity, Respect, Tolerance. To organise them we use the different Concepts, Form, Function, Causation, Change, Connection, Perspective, Responsibility and Reflective. Lastly we take action, reflect, Choose, Act is the actions in the cycle. We learn the essential elements so that in the future we can use it and find jobs and have a better life. Once we have mastered those we become Internationally Minded. Those are some of the things we learned with Mrs. Jolley.

21. At the end of Mrs.Jolley’s presentation I gained a whole new perspective on the IB program. The skills are what we need to have to be better learners; there are 5 categories of skills. The categories are ,thinking skills which is way that our minds have to think, social skills is how we act around other people, communication skills which is how we communicate with the people around us, self-management skills which is how well we organize ourselves and lastly research skills which is how we find information and how we organize it. The attitudes are how we should interact with the environment and the world; if we use all of the attitudes we will become a great citizen of the world and become internationally minded. Thinking about the world as well as yourself is a must in the IB , the key concepts exist so instead of having a bunch of facts, you can question them, get a better understanding and it makes you think about your part in the world with responsibility. Action is what all IB students want to do, first you have to learn, comprehend it, think about and finally see what you can do to make a difference, even if it’s small it still counts. Concluding, the whole idea of the IB is to question the world and set out to make the world a better place for humanity.

22. Well the essential elements connect because you need skills to know knowledge. And knowledge to know the attributes, you need to know the attributes to know what the key concepts are. And you need to know skills, knowledge, attitudes and key concepts to know how to take action in the world or your community. The purpose they serve is to help people have a better life as we grow up and to help us learn the PYP attributes. Also to help us learn the Transdisciplinary skills. It also helps us learn the attitudes (Appreciation, Commitment, etc.). it helps us learn the key concepts(why is it like that? Causation. How is it changing? Change, Etc.). It helps us learn how to take action because we will chose what we want to do then we will do it then after you are done you will reflect on it (chose, act reflect). That is what we learned with Mrs. Jolly on Thursday and Monday.

23. PYP stands for Primary Years Program.If you want to become a better person you can strive to follow the word in the learners profile.Some of the words are independence, responsibility and empathy.The essential elements are skills,knowledge,attitudes,concepts and action.First,you will need some knowledge,skills and a good attitude.Then you take action on those skills.The five skills are knowledge skills,communicating skills,thinking skills,transdisciplinary skills and concept skills.Next year we’re going to start on the MYP which stands for the middle Years Program.Next will be DP which stands for Diploma program.

24. I think that all of the essential elements are connected because they all combine to help you become an excellent student. Skills and knowledge connect because if you have no knowledge you cannot have the skills to do something. The attitudes are connected to action because all the different aspects of attitude motivate a student into action. Concepts are also connected to attitudes because when you are asking a question like how the world works, you are being curious. When all of these elements combine they allow a student to become the best he/she can be.

25. What I learned was how important the PYP attributes are. For example, grade 6 students have to be a role model for the younger students in the school. It is important to be responsible in our actions and what we say. Mrs. Jolley mentioned that all students must follow the PYP attitudes. For instance, all students have to care for each other. When I work in a group for a project, I usually take risks which is a PYP skill. I found the information on essential elements to be very useful.

26. My understanding of the PYP is that the concepts, which can also be expressed as key questions, help us to think of ways to look upon the world and inquire deeply into the central idea and infiltrate the lines of inquiry. Most of the units of inquiry need to be explored by using knowledge and skills which the student needs to develop. We will need to have attitudes to be able to have international mindedness so that we can respect people and this will help us later in life. Also it is compatible with the learner profile which I hope that every student at Mulgrave will strive to be. Knowledge helps us put the essential elements into action. Some of the attitudes are appreciation, commitment, cooperation, curiosity, empathy as well as others. Then action needs to take place to try put knowledge and the essential elements into action. Once you have unlocked the lock to the safe you will need to be a risk-taker and pull the lid of the safe open. Action needs to take place or all of those essential themes will be wasted and they might have not only made an effect on you, but they might have helped others and maybe even the whole world. If everybody put those elements into action then the world would definitely become a better place.

27. Mrs. Jolly’s presentation was very informative. I learned many things in the two times that she came to talk to us. She told us about essential elements (Skills, Knowledge, Attitudes, Concepts and Action) and what they did for the PYP. I only knew about the attitudes until this year and I learned a lot today. All of the transdisciplinary themes have a concept with them, for example with “How the world works” the key concept could be function and responsibility, which I find interesting. After you have learned all of the essential elements then you have become an internationally minded student! I am glad that Mrs. Jolly took the time to come in and talk to us about the PYP and what it’s really about. Now I feel that I am ready to start the exhibition.

28. Today Mrs.Jolley talked to us about the PYP programme and what it stands for. I have learned many thing.The thing that I have learned most about it is about the transdisiplinary skills. I haven’t ever heard about them since this year I didn’t really understand what they were but Ms.Jolley explained in detail what they are and what they are there for. The most important thing that I learned was that Mulgrave School is trying to make us internationally minded by teaching us to be caring, principled, balanced, a risk taker etc. In general, I thought that Mrs.Jolley’s presentation was very educational and it answered a lot of questions that I had about the PYP programme.

29. The essential elements are all connected in many ways. Firstly, we need to apply our thinking, social, communication, self-management and research skills to the transdisciplinary themes and to the central ideas. We have to apply the key concepts to the transdisciplinary themes because it is important, for example,to be able to make connections, show perspective and reflect on our central idea. This is important because we strive to be internationaly minded, to have an understanding of the world around us and to be open-minded. This is an example of a connection between the PYP attitudes and the transdisciplinary theme of ‘Who We Are’. You have to have respect and be tolerant of others beliefs and religions. I have also gained an understandig of how one attribute relates to the other. For example, to be creative you have to be curious, to be independant you have to be commited, to be appreciative you have to be respectful. In my perspective the PYP program is a delicate web which requires all the themes, skills, attitudes and concepts to keep the web strong.

30. Well the transdisciplinary and disciplinary skills are the skills you need to acquire.You also have to gain knowledge about global significance and the environment that surrounds you . We have to develop an understanding of concepts and make connections with learning. Attitudes that we establish lead us to internationalism and take action as a consequence for what we have learned. This is the five essential elements and how they work. This is also the process of how knowledge has been obtained and what is done about this knowledge. The purpose of this five essential elements is explicating how things are done throughout a daily basis for students and even scientists.

31. Today I learned from Ms. Jolley about PYP Trans-disciplinary Themes, Grade 6 central ideas, Skills, Knowledge, Attitudes, Concepts and Action. Also I learned about how they all connect to international mindedness and what IB is all about. They are all connected to each other because all those abilities and attributes are all needed to do things and understand things. Like for example knowledge helps you understand new concepts and trans-disciplinary skills help you take action. Trans-disciplinary skills help you in many ways like communicating with other people and being more understanding of new ideas and concepts. I really liked the presentation Ms. Jolley presented because it was all about what we needed to know for exhibition and PYP.

32. Listening to Ms. Jolley has helped me understand better the PYP system and what it’s aiming to do. Before I thought that PYP schools where the
    same as other schools. Before I thought that the PYP was meaningless and not very important. I was wrong. Now I understand that the PYP is aiming to give us lots of freedom especially on perspectives about the world. All the attitudes and attributes of the PYP are meant to make us better and more creative in the world. I now understand that the PYP program tries their best to make the younger generation internatonally minded. I really enjoyed Ms.Jolley’s talk with us.

33. Today, Mrs. Jolley reviewed the essential elements with us. Skills, knowledge, attitude, concepts and actions makes up the essential elements. Connected to the learner profile, it’s also the cycle that should be going through our minds before we choose to do something. Because I didn’t know about the essential elements it was useful information.

34. Mrs.Jolley came in and spoke to us about the essential elements which are skills,knowledge,attitudes,concepts and action.She showed us the trans disciplinary themes and told us to relate them to the central ideas. One of the basic points she made was on how Mulgrave was aspiring to create Internationally minded and well rounded students by giving us things to aspire to like the IB learner profile and PYP attitudes.Truthfully I didn’t know the meaning behind these attitudes and learner profiles but now I understand that they are goals created for the Mulgrave Junior School. To conclude Mrs.Jolleys presentation is going to enhance my understanding of the PYP learner profile.

35. After the 2 classes with Ms.Jolley I think that i have a new understanding of the essentail elements now. Since I am new to the whole program I knew nothing about it.Now that I know a little more about pyp program, I think that the elements are connected because without one element the other elements are useless.One element can’t work without the other. For example without the skills, knoledge, attitudes, and concepts you could never put your thoughts into action. Now that I now that the PYP program tries to help make the younger generation internationally minded I think that I now have a better understanding of the Pyp program.Once we learn all the elements then we can put the elements into action.

36. I learned that all IB schools have the same PYP attitudes and UOI units and central ideas. IB stands for International Baccalaureate. IB is a system of education and learning. To become an IB student you need to have skills and you have to be open minded and a risk taker and principled… The PYP stands for the Primary Years Program. The PYP is for students aged 3 to 11. You have to learn a second language if you’re in IB.

37. Having the meeting with Ms. Jolley helped me understand and gain more knoledge about the PYP program. I learned that the PYP program is trying to teach us to be a better student. There are also different schools that have the PYP program. I also learned what some of the PYP attidudes mean. We also learned that all the trandiciplinary themes all add up to action and what the trandiciplinary slills are like thinking skills, communative skills, research skills and self management skills. I learned a lot from the Meeting with Ms. Jolley.

38. I have a new understanding about the essential elements Trans disciplinary. I have learned how the essential elements; skills, knowledge, attitudes, concepts all lead to action. Those elements help us in our everyday lives. I have also learned about the Trans disciplinary themes. They link to our unit of inquiry. That is what I have learned.

39. The essential elements of the PYP learner profile are very important when trying to create a well internationally minded person. The PYP learner profile’s big goal is to turn you into the best internationally minded person you can be. The first essential element, the transdisciplinary skills is made out of four skills: self-management (being able to organize yourself), thinking ( being able to think out things in your mind), social( being able to communicate with others) and research skills(being able to research properly) . You need these skills to be able to collect information and be able to sort it. The second essential element is knowledge. If you don’t have knowledge, you won’t have anything to apply on your test or essay. The third essential element, attitudes is made out of 10 attitudes: caring(being kind and accepting to others), knowledgeable (having knowledge and being able to apply it), risk-taker (trying new things and never giving up), open-minded(being tolerant to others), balanced (balancing the arts, academics and athletics), inquirer (eager to learn new things), communicator (able and not shy to speak to others), thinker( being able to process thing in your mind), principled(doing the right thing), and reflective(being able to reflect on your actions). These show what the PYP program wants you to become. The third essential element, concepts are made out of 10 concepts: form(what is it like), causation(why is it like it is), change(how is it changing), perspective(what are the different points of view), function(how does it work), connection(how does it connect to other things), responsibility(what is our responsibility) and reflection(how do we know). These concepts are sorted into transdisciplinary themes and also help with making questions. Each PYP category works together in unity by adding all the ingredients together to push you towards taking action. Overall we need the essential elements because we want to accomplish our goal of becoming a well internationally minded student.

40. In the PYP program,the essential elements are connected because you need all the elements to be able to understand Action. Each one of the elements are essential to succeed in understanding the other elements. Also, we learned about the transdisciplinary skills. The transdisciplinary skills are thinking skills, communicative skills, research skills, self-management skills. All the PYP elements and attributes makes us internationally minded. Now that I have learned about the essential elements, I understand and I enjoyed when Ms. Jolley presented to us.

41. Last week Mrs. Jolly came to the all the grade six classes to talk to us about the PYP program. She told us how we need to learn the skills in order to become an internationly minded student. Which supports our IB program. The skills she told us that we will be needing are Transdisiplinary skills, Thinking skills, research skills and comminication skills. These are the skills we need to take action. She also told us about how two diffrent tings relate to one anouther. For example thinker leads to curiosity, confidence leads to risk-taker and many more. We got asked questions about how its changing the programe? Why is it like that? How does it work? I injoyed the presentaition and the posters that they showed us that shows the skills is an visual poster. We all needs these skills. They are important to all of us and will help us in the future.

42. I learned that the IB and pyp is used worldwide and not just here in canada so that means if I went to another IB school we will know about the same attributes and pyp attitudes. there are 10 attitudes in the pyp and 4 transdisaplinary skills. these are an importent part of the IB because we will know all of these to apply action and become and international learner. I also enjoyed the way Ms.Jolly taught us it in a fun way!

43. My new understanding of the transdisiplinary themes are that each theme leads to another. Skills are the rings which carry the knowledge. Knowledge is the dust. The dust turns into rocks which are the attitudes. When the attitudes build they make the world which are the concepts. TO make the world livable the action is the atmosphere which covers it. Skills and knowledge will not make the earth grow. Everything combined will. When you’re making chocolate cookies you cannot forget the chocolate or the batter because it will not work.

44. I really enjoyed having Ms. Jolley speak to us. I have learned about the five key concepts and how they work. There are Skills, Knowledge, Attitudes, Concepts and Actions. They all work together to create the IB program. They are like the keys to a door. We need them all to be the perfect IB student. It was really cool to find out about the transdisaplinary skills.

45. After our discussion with Ms. Jolly, I now really understand how all the parts of the PYP and IB connect. First off, I learned how things like attitude and knowledge; help unlock the key to action. As well, I now truly understand what attitudes and learner profiles I show well, and which ones that I could maybe strive to become. Another thing is, I see what an IB student is supposed to be, and how we strive to be internationally minded. The final thing is how the skills and help us unlock knowledge, so if you wanted to give a speech or a big talk in front of people, you’d have to have social skills. Our talk with Ms. Jolly opened me up to many knew things, and for one or two, was a tiny review. Now I understand how everything connects in our school.

46. The five elements we learned about in our discussion with Ms.Jolly were Attitude, Concepts, Knowledge, Skills, and Action. All together they help form the IB program. Like Torean’s “AMAZING” metapohor, they all help open the door.

47. I have a new understanding of the Essential elements because at first I didn’t really understand how all the Elements together made a perfect student. Also now I realize that each element is like a puzzle piece but when you put all the elements together it makes a picture. We need to know these elements so later on we can share are knowledge, do something about it and then reflect. Skills are the foundation; we need them so we can build onto them and learn more. Then once we have our skills and knowledge we can strive to be the attitudes. Finally we have are concepts which make us realize why we are learning about a subject, they also make us think about what questions do we have, what do we want to know/learn. Lastly Action, Action is last because you need to know the other elements first. We have action so you can take a step further and take your knowledge and share it or start something new. Over all I have a new understanding of how the Essential elements work together and what the purpose is to why we are learning these elements.

48. After our talk with Ms.Jolly I leanrned about the Concepts and the Transdisaplinary Skills. I learned what the Concepts were and I now know that they are thinking skills, communicative skills, recerch skills and self management skills. The concepts are form, function, cousation, change, connection, perspective, responsibility and reflection. When Ms.Jolly came in I learned a lot more than I knew before. I also learned more about the Transdisaplinary Themes and can explain them in detail. I am looking forward to working on the project with a partner.

49. I thought that Ms.Jolley gave us a full detailed presentation on what is included and what is essential in the PYP. I have learned that there are 5 essential elements in the PYP, action, attributes, skills, knowledge, and concepts. If any of these concepts were missing than the whole process wouldn’t work. We are all striving to be an internationally minded student and these concepts will lead our way to being that person. All of the IB schools have these 5 elements. You can use these in a test- using the skill to think about what the question is asking, using the knowledge that you have to answer the question. Using confidence and independence you can be confident that you believe that your answer is correct, and not copying off other peoples work. Use the concepts that you have already learned and writing down the answer by taking action. After having this talk I can reflect on how important it is to have everything in the PYP.

50. Mrs. Jolley talked to all of the grade 6 classes and what the PYP is. She explained the 5 essential elements(Skills, Knowledge, Concepts, Attitude and Action).She also gave us a prologue of sorts about exhibition .She demonstrated how the skills play a role to help in our whole lives not just school(which makes Mulgrave a greatly more efficient school). Mrs. Jolley told us how to use our skills to make the find knowledge, use our knowledge to solve problems, use the concepts to enhance our knowledge and redirect to a further degree, that having a positive mind, once you got those done you can take action! My way of viewing it during our class discussion is skills is the key smith, who builds the key knowledge, which unlocks the door concepts, but it’s still stuck so you use attitude to oil the hinges then you step into the room action where you have the world to explore(my example ).

51. I missed the class period that Mrs. Jolley taught and was late on Monday, so I don’t a lot of things about IB, but I know some because I was in a IB school last year. In PYP there are 5 essential elements: skills, attitudes, knowledge, concepts and action. Skills, also known as transdisciplinary skills, includes social, communication, self-management, research and thinking skills. When attitudes is written, it also means the learner profile. There are twelve attitudes (Curiosity, Cooperation, Confidence, Integrity, etc.) and ten learner profile words (reflective, open-minded, risk-taker, caring, thinker, etc.). As you know, everybody needs knowledge to do everything; it is very important! Now, maybe your are thinking how do we organize our knowledge; we use concepts; from the easiest to hardest: form, function, causation, change, connection, perspective, responsibility and reflection. After all this thinking, we make action. We do action in our community to help others around us. Besides the five essential element of PYP, we have six different transdisciplinary themes (Who We Are, How We Organize Ourselves, Where We Are In Place And Time, Sharing The Planet, How We Express Ourselves and How The World Works). All of the essential elements are designed to teach us how to be a internationally minded students. Mrs. Jolley sure did teach us a lot of IB, PYP’s vital elements!

52. After Mrs.Jolley came in I learnt a lot about the IB program like the attitudes, the learner profile and and the essential elements of PYP (skills, knowledge, concepts, attitudes, and action) I also learnt how to do the learner profiles. You also need it in real life situations like going to the store. (social skills to talk to the person who checks out your food, knowledge because you have to know how much to pay, you need the right attitude to get off the couch and come to the store, action you need to buy the food. That is why IB students will make the world a better place.

53. In the primary years program (PYP), all the essential elements are closely connected, because all the elements are the key points for us to become a globally minded person. After Mrs. Jolley’s presentation I learned that in PYP, there are 5 transdisciplinary skills and 12 attitudes. I personally think that the attitude is very important because if you do not have a good attitude, you will lose your interest and enthusiasm to learn new things. Then I think you also need to have skills in order to use these skills and research for the information you need in the future and learn things quickly. Then I think a good concept will help you to build a clear picture for the things you need to know. The knowledge is the foundation for the other elements. Action comes last, and it is the most important part of all of the elements because if you did all the other work but no action, there is no point of doing those other stuff. That is what I learned after Mrs. Jolley’s presentation.

54. Mrs. Jolley recently gave us a presentation about the elements that make up the IB program and how they can be applied to our central ideas. Skills are necessary to develop first in order to access all the further stages of learning. Instinctively this makes sense because skills such as thinking, communicating, and social skills help us to further our inquiries and development. We can use skills to increase our knowledge and understanding of ideas, people and situations. Once we have enough knowledge, our attitudes will take shape and we can form concepts, ways to organize our thoughts. The final step is action when we use all the earlier elements to determine how we choose to behave, act and reflect on the outcome of our actions. However, learning is never complete and depending on the outcome of our action, we might need to begin again at the skills stage.